Wednesday 13 November 2013

Internet Research Report

Firstly, the standard font used on all scripts is “Courier” and the standard size is “12pt” which I will apply within my 4th Draft to make the format of my script look professional. The reason to use “Courier” and in the size of “12pt” is because it was the standard font used by all typewriters. Carrying on from that, you are not allowed to use any text effects such as “bold”. Another reason courier is used is because It's a timing issue. One formatted script page in Courier font equals roughly one minute of screen time.

Another thing which I have gathered from my research is that certain areas within a script have to have precise sizes and placement, things such as “Scene Heading” has to have “Indent: Left: 0.0" Right: 0.0" Width: 6.0", an “Action” has to have “Indent: Left: 0.0" Right: 0.0" Width: 6.0", the “Character” has to have an indent of “Indent: Left: 2.0" Right: 0.0" Width: 4.0" etc.

I have also gathered that there are a variety of shots used within a script when it is written such as “Angle”, “Extreme Close up”, “Pan to” and “POV” which should be included within scenes and will look to implement within my 4th Draft.

Another thing I have learnt to do is to now write the transitions of each scenes on the actual script itself such as “Dissolve to:” for the “film editing instructions” of the script. I will look to add this into my 4th script to make the scenes close and enter smoother.

As well as those, I have learnt that every scene should be wrote on the script as a scene heading with a brief narrative description below it to set the scene which then has a transition underneath to introduce the coming scene. Carrying on from that, after every new character there needs a description of what they come across as with their name in capitals such as “SCOTT a slim, tall boy wearing a heavy coat, strolls across the room” which I will look to add into my 4th draft to make it more professional and believable.

Lastly, I have learnt that when nearing the end of the page ‘continueds’ need to be used to help aid the reader if the character carries on with what they were saying and I will add this in my 4th draft. As well as that, at the start of the page there needs to be page numbers at the top right as opposed to what it currently is which is in the footer of the page which is factually wrong. I will look to correct this in order for my script to be believable.


No comments:

Post a Comment